CYPRESS — The reigning state champion Cy-Fair Bobcat football team’s sound season opening victory is having a positive effect on how outsiders view Cypress football.
A solid 27-7 win over the Woodlands Highlanders last week moved the Bobcats up a spot in the Associated Press’ high school football rankings today (Sept. 4, 2018). You can catch up with Cy-Fair’s victory here. Cy-Fair was previously in the No. 6 slot and moved up to tie Converse Judson for the No. 5 position.
Allen and Lake Travis remained at the No. 1 and 2 positions, respectively. North Shore’s surprising victory over Katy seems to be the catalyst for the movement in the poll.
The Bobcats’ title game opponent, Waco Midway was picked as the No. 17 team in Texas.
Rank / School / Total Points / Previous ranking
1. Allen (22) (1-0) 238 / 1
2. Lake Travis (2) (1-0) 207 / 2
3. Austin Westlake (1-0) 183 / 4
4. Galena Park North Shore (1-0) 134 / 8
5t. Converse Judson (1-0) 123 / 5
(tie) Cypress Fairbanks (1-0) 123 / 6
7. Longview (1-0) 102 / 7
8. Duncanville (1-0) 77 / 9
9. Katy (0-1) 38 / 3
10. Southlake Carroll (1-0) 36 / 10
Others receiving votes: 11t, Spring Westfield 17. 11t, Klein Collins 17. 13, Euless Trinity 13. 14, DeSoto 7. 15t, San Angelo Central 2. 15t, Cedar Hill 2. 17, Waco Midway 1.
You can support the Cypress News Review in a handful of ways.
1. Become a monthly patron for as little as $1 via Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/CypressNewsReview).
2. Click any and all ads that interest you on our website. This helps our supporters know that you like our content!
3. We can’t fit all the amazing photos that we make in our website. View the rest (and consider purchasing pics of yourself and/or your kids) at https://cypressnewsreview.dotphoto.com
4. Like our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/CypressNewsReview), follow our Twitter (https://twitter.com/CypressNewsRev), and subscribe to our YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKIuHUwXbt_R673iszcLz7g).
We’re relatively new to the scene, so our numbers might look small, but they’re growing exponentially thanks to your liking and sharing our content. Cypress is our home, and has gone for far too long without a dedicated news source, and we aim to fill that gap.