CYPRESS — The CFISD Board of Trustees approved the calendar committee’s recommendations for the 2019-2020 instructional calendar during its regularly scheduled meeting on Monday, Dec. 10.
House Bill 1 from the 79th Texas Legislature mandates that instruction for the school year may not begin before the fourth Monday in August. For the 2019-2020 instructional year, the earliest start date is Aug. 26—which will serve as the first day of school.
In the fall semester of 2017, a calendar committee was organized to develop calendars for both the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 school years. The committee was made up of district-wide representation, including teachers, parents, community members, campus administrators and support staff. Developing both calendars at the same time allowed the school board to vote on next school year’s calendar earlier than in past years. The committee worked to construct the calendars using the 75,600 minutes needed to complete a school year required by law.
The committee recommend a calendar to the school board that will conclude the 2019-2020 school year on May 28, 2020.
In its meetings, the committee discussed various components of developing the instructional calendars before arriving at a consensus. The 2019-2020 calendar recommendation presented to the Board of Trustees included:
- students begin school on Monday, Aug. 26, 2019;
- Labor Day, Sept. 2, 2019, is a student/staff holiday;
- the calendar has a five-day Thanksgiving holiday (Nov. 25-29, 2019);
- a 10-day winter break is scheduled for students (Dec. 23, 2019-Jan. 3, 2020);
- a five-day spring break is scheduled for March 9-13, 2020;
- Good Friday, April 10, 2020, is a student/staff holiday;
- The school year will end on May 28, 2020 for students; and
- Feb. 17 and May 29, 2020 are designated as inclement weather makeup days.
To download a copy of the 2019-2020 school calendars, visit our resource website here: 2019/2020 CFISD calendars.
Support the Cypress News Review:
1. Bookmark us!
2. Become a monthly patron for as little as $1 via Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/CypressNewsReview).
3. Like our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/CypressNewsReview), follow our Twitter (https://twitter.com/CypressNewsRev), and subscribe to our YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKIuHUwXbt_R673iszcLz7g).