CYPRESS — Cypress Woods and Cypress Ranch high schools ranked among the top 1,700 U.S. high schools in the country, while Cy-Fair and Cypress Creek high schools gave Cypress-Fairbanks ISD four schools among the top 3,500 nationally, according to U.S. News & World Report’s annual list of America’s Best High Schools.
Graduation rates and college readiness were among the numerous metrics used to determine the top schools. Data was drawn from the 2017-2018 school year, using state and federal datasets.
Of more than 24,000 high schools reviewed across all 50 states and the District of Columbia, approximately 17,790 public high schools were ranked. Among those were 10 eligible CFISD high schools
The College Board and International Baccalaureate also provided data from their respective college-prep programs, Advanced Placement and IB.
Rankings were calculated based on six indicators of school quality:
- College readiness, based on the proportions of 12th-grade students who took and passed AP and/or IB exams;
- College curriculum breadth, based on proportions of 12th-grade students who took and passed AP and/or IB exams in multiple content areas;
- Math and reading proficiency, based on student performance on state-required tests;
- Math and reading performance, based on whether performance on state assessments exceeded expectations given the school’s proportion of underserved students;
- Underserved student performance, based on how black, Hispanic and low-income students performed on state assessments compared with those who are not underserved in the state; and
- Graduation rates, based on the proportion of students who entered ninth grade in 2013-2014 and graduated four years later.
The rankings methodology totaled a 100-point scale. Highest-ranked schools were those whose students excelled on state testing and performed beyond expectations, participated in and passed a variety of college-level exams and graduated in high proportions.
Cypress Woods was ranked at 1,314 in the nation and 138 in Texas with a 98-percent graduation rate and overall score of 92.61.
Cypress Ranch was ranked 1,606 in the nation and 160 in Texas with a 98-percent graduation rate and overall score of 90.97.
Cy-Fair was ranked 3,003 in the nation and 258 in Texas with a 93-percent graduation rate and overall score of 83.12.
Cypress Creek was ranked 3,487 in the nation and 293 in Texas with a 93-percent graduation rate and overall score of 80.4.
- Langham Creek High School (3,913th nationally, 325th state);
- Cypress Falls High School (4,333rd nationally, 362nd state);
- Cypress Ridge High School (4,491st nationally, 374th state);
- Jersey Village High School (5,962nd nationally, 491st state);
- Cypress Lakes High School (6,063rd nationally, 501st state); and
- Cypress Springs High School (6,547th nationally, 532nd state).
For more information on the rankings, visit the U.S. News & World Report website.
The Cypress News Review is your independent, locally owned online source for news, education news, information and sports in Cypress, Texas, since 2018.
Support the Cypress News Review:
- Bookmark us!
- Like our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/CypressNewsReview)
- Follow our Twitter (https://twitter.com/CypressNewsRev)
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKIuHUwXbt_R673iszcLz7g).
- Visit our Amazon Store.