SAN ANTONIO — Six CFISD swimmers earned gold, silver or bronze medals and 11 others placed in the top 15 at the UIL Swimming and Diving Class 6A State Meet, held Feb. 26 and March 1 at the Bill Walker Pool and Josh Davis Natatorium in San Antonio.
The Cypress Woods High School boys led CFISD swimmers by placing third overall as a team. Sophomore Benjamin Scholl and seniors Munzer Kabbara, Clay Crawford and Luke DiMiceli earned the state title in the 200-yard freestyle relay, while setting a new Class 6A state record in the process (1:22.09). Kabbara also earned an individual state title in the 200-yard individual medley (1:48.16).
Cypress Woods’ other top-three male finishers are as follows:
- Benjamin Scholl, Munzer Kabbara, Clay Crawford and Luke DiMiceli – second place, 400-yard freestyle relay (3:01.64);
- Luke DiMiceli – third place, 200-yard individual medley (1:48.64); and
- Benjamin Scholl – third place, 50-yard freestyle (20.59) and 100-yard freestyle (44.67).
CFISD’s other top-15 male finishers are as follows:
- Cy-Fair High School senior Adrian Guzman – 11th place, 200-yard freestyle (1:41.88);
- Cypress Woods senior Clay Crawford – 11th place, 50-yard freestyle (21.29);
- Cypress Woods senior Munzer Kabbara – sixth place, 100-yard butterfly (49.39);
- Cypress Woods sophomore Daniel Choi – 10th place, 500-yard freestyle (4:34.17); and
- Cypress Woods senior Luke DiMiceli – 12th place, 100-yard backstroke (51.41).
Cypress Creek High School junior Hayden Miller led CFISD female swimmers by finishing second in the 200-yard freestyle (1:48.16) followed by Cypress-Bridgeland® High School sophomore Emma Kinsey who finished third in the 100-yard butterfly (56.04).
CFISD’s other top-15 female finishers are as follows:
- Cypress-Bridgeland® senior Allie Thome – 12th place, 100-yard freestyle (52.82) and 15th place 50-yard freestyle (24.43);
- Cypress Creek junior Hayden Miller – ninth place, 100-yard freestyle (51.38);
- Cypress-Bridgeland® senior Aldercy Bui – ninth place, 100-yard backstroke (57.55);
- Cy-Fair senior Reagan Jaco – 13th place, 100-yard backstroke (59.02);
- Cy-Fair freshman Ella Smoker – 10th place, 100-yard breaststroke (1:05.84);
- Cypress-Bridgeland® 200-yard medley relay – Aldercy Bui, Erin Ware, Emma Kinsey and Allie Thome – 11th place (1:47.13); and
- Cypress Creek 400-yard freestyle relay – Keilah Eckhart, Megan Smith, Hayden Miller and Allegra Butler – 15th place (3:38.94).
“Our athletic department is especially proud of how our athletes performed at the UIL State Swimming and Diving competition,” said Ray Zepeda, CFISD director of athletics. “This has been an especially difficult season with many new processes and protocols. To see us have one of the more successful seasons that we have had is a testament to the hard work and commitment of our kids, coaches and CFISD aquatic personnel. This was a record-setting year for the Cy Woods boys’ team and we had several medalists from three different CFISD campuses.”
Disclaimers: This website, related social media outlets, and future expansions, are not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by Bridgeland Development, LP. BRIDGELAND® is a registered trademark of Bridgeland Development, LP.