AUSTIN — The University Interscholastic League Legislative Council met via teleconference Sunday and Monday to make decisions on proposed rule changes in UIL academics, athletics, music and policy.
In music, the Council passed an amendment to add a ranking process to 1A State Marching Band advancement. They also passed an amendment to add judges at Regional Mariachi Competitions, consolidate regions, and allow only groups competing in the traditional category to advance to state.
In academics, the Council passed an amendment to combine A+ Science I and II tests for grades 6-8, and an amendment to add points for Top Presiding Officer in State Congress.
Additionally, the Legislative Council passed a resolution to temporarily expand the authority of the UIL Executive Director until August 1, 2021 due to COVID-19.
The Legislative Council also passed amendments to temporarily delay the following activities due to the current situation with COVID-19:
- Water Polo (Previously scheduled to begin 2021-22 School Year)
- State Chamber Music Contest (Previously scheduled to begin 2020-21 School Year)
- Sight Reading (Previously scheduled to begin 2020-21 School Year)
All rule changes approved during this meeting can be found on the UIL website at https://www.uiltexas.org/files/policy/Oct2020LegCouncilPacket.pdf
The Commissioner of Education must approve all rule changes passed by the Legislative Council before they take effect.
Hey, thank you for taking the time to read this article. Please like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and subscribe to us on YouTube.
The Cypress News Review is your independent, locally owned online source for news, education news, information and sports in Cypress, Texas, since 2018.
Support the Cypress News Review:
- Bookmark us!
- Like our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/CypressNewsReview)
- Follow our Twitter (https://twitter.com/CypressNewsRev)
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKIuHUwXbt_R673iszcLz7g).
- Visit our Amazon Store.